Quality HIV/AIDS prevention, care and treatment programs depend on the availability of individuals and organizations with appropriate M&E experience and skills as well as adequate infrastructure and resources. Developing M&E frameworks is an integral step in the development of M&E plans.
This course will strengthen the learner's understanding of how to develop an M&E framework that can be used to organize and implement various components of an M&E system.
Intended Course Audience:
This course has been developed for strategic information (SI) generalists, M&E professionals, program managers and public health professionals working at national and sub-national levels.
Continuous Learning Points for USAID Staff
USAID staff who complete this course may claim 2 continuous learning points (CLPs) for A/CORs. USAID staff can visit OAA's Professional Development and Training pages for more information.
At the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Define common M&E terms
- Describe how M&E fits in a broader public health context
- Describe three different approaches to developing an M&E framework
- Describe why using an M&E framework is important
- Develop an M&E framework
- Describe the main components of frameworks
- Describe the steps to develop and implement an M&E framework
Collaborating organizations involved in the development of M&E Frameworks for HIV/AIDS Programs include:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- ICF Macro
- MEASURE Evaluation
- Office of the Global AIDS Coordinator
- United States Agency for International Development
The content of this course is primarily adapted from:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). 2008. Monitoring and Evaluation for National Program Planning. Atlanta: CDC.
- MEASURE Evaluation and Mahidol University. 2007. Regional Workshop on Monitoring & Evaluation of HIV/AIDS Programs. Bangkok: MEASURE Evaluation.
- MEASURE Evaluation and University of Pretoria. 2007. Regional Workshop on Monitoring and Evaluation of HIV/AIDS Programs. South Africa: MEASURE Evaluation.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and ICF Macro. Monitoring and Evaluation for National Program Planning and Management.